JSMC announces new, continued classes for May
April 27, 2012
HOPKINSVILLE—Jennie Stuart Medical Center (JSMC) is holding the following free classes and health events in May:
1. Kangaroo Care is a new program that encourages skin-to-skin contact between parents and newborns to improve bonding and decrease child abuse. Nurses from JSMC Maternity Department will explain the program at two sessions the week before Mother’s Day: Tuesday, May 8, 6 p.m., at the Christian County Health Department, and Thursday, May 17, 5-7 p.m., at the “World’s Greatest Baby Shower,” at Hopkinsville Community College. For more information, call (270) 887-0330.
2. Sleep apnea screening is a new program to help people understand the causes of breathing cessation during sleep and appropriate treatments. Staff from JSMC’s Sleep and Neurodiagnostic Center will hold the screenings on Friday, May 11 and Friday, May 18, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Center in the Doctors Pavilion at JSMC, 320 W. 18th Street, Hopkinsville. For more information, call (800) 887-JSMC, ext. 6883.
3. Tuesday, May 8, 4:30 p.m.—“Learning to live with cancer.” Ramesh Patel, MD, board-certified hematologist and medical oncologist, JSMC, holds a question-and-answer support group meeting with patients and family members. Location: Doctors Pavilion conference room E, JSMC, 320 W. 18th Street, Hopkinsville. No reservation required.
4. Thursday, May 10, 2 p.m.—Joint replacement class for those preparing for knee or hip replacements. Location: Home Health Stuart Building at the JSMC campus, 320 W. 18th St., Hopkinsville. Call to reserve a seat for patient and one guest, (270) 887-0118.
5. Saturday, May 12, 10 a.m.—Weight-loss surgery informational seminar by Gerame Wells, MD, FACS, Cotthoff Learning Center, lower level of the Doctors Pavilion at JSMC. Call to reserve a seat, (800) 887-JSMC, ext. 4402.
6. Monday, May 21, 6 p.m.— Weight-loss surgery informational seminar by Gerame Wells, MD, FACS, Central City Wellness Center, 320 Golden Tide Ave., Central City. Call to reserve a seat, (800) 887-JSMC, ext. 4402.
Classes and events are updated frequently on the JSMC website, www.jsmc.org.
JSMC is a private, not-for-profit health organization that includes an acute-care medical center; free-standing outpatient surgery, medical imaging, laboratory, and rehabilitation services; and an integrated physician network. For information, call (800) 877-JSMC (800-877-5762).